segunda-feira, setembro 22, 2008

Writing letters

Card from Bee Hive Book Store
Card from Bee Hive Book Store
I've always loved writing letters. I used to write a lot of them to my family and friends and I even had some pen friends so that I could have more letters to write. One of those pen friends became one of my best friends. Eighteen years ago I spent a year in England and wrote letters and cards to everyone I knew. But I also received tons of letters and I still have some of them. I was an au pair, living with an adorable English family (we still write letters and cards to each other) and they were amazed to see how many letters I used to receive every week. My Granny wrote me twice a week. I always had a letter from her every Wednesday and Saturday. I also remember, not so long ago, that one of my daily pleasures was the anticipation of going to my mailbox each day to see if I had a letter. And what a joy it is to receive a personal letter. But nowadays we rarely receive personal letters. I still like going to my mailbox every day but usually I find nothing more than bills, credit card offers, sales brochures and other uninteresting things. During Christmas, some people still send the obligatory greetings but during the rest of the year, we don't usually use postal contact. Phones and emails have replaced letter-writting. I know that phones and especially emails are an excellent and less expensive way of keeping in touch with our family and friends. But I miss the letters in my mailbox. And even ifI don't get any, I have decided that I will start writing letters again and I'll try to do it regularly, as I used to do a few years ago. It is more expensive but it doesn' cost a fortune. It takes time but it's well worth it. It is a very good way of showing that you care and you love someone and it is wonderful to have something in the post to look forward to. I've started today. I wrote a letter and made a birthday card for my Dad. But I'm going to send much more letters and I'm looking forward to start writing them.

2 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

And my address is.......

It is good indeed, it is much more personalised.

Happy letter writing!!

Have a great week!!

Lara disse...

Please send me your address because you're also on my list.
Have a great week too!